MAKING THE WEB A BETTER PLACE, ONE PUBLICATION AT A TIME.

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Posted by Trini Kid - - 0 comments

Sup Travellers?! I love my phone. Having a phone in your possession is almost literally like having the world in the palm of your hands, but I'm no superhero so saving the world isn't my due diligence. If my phone falls into an incredibly dangerous place you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm not jumping into any "incredibly dangerous place" to save it.

However, some people would and it proved fatal to two folks from China. According to reports from the South China Morning Post, New York Post and the Shanghaiist, two people died after attempting to save a phone that fell into an open-pit toilet Wednesday in Xinxiang city, Henan. 

The reports say that a young woman got a new phone but accidentally dropped it into the open-pit toilet. Even though it was her phone, she didn't jump into the toilet after it right away. The woman's husband was the first to jump into the knee-deep cesspool to try and find the $320 phone, but he started having difficulty breathing and fainted.

The man's mother then jumped in after him but she too fainted. They both died of suffocation, and more were injured when others followed in an attempt to save them. The young woman herself later jumped in to save her phone but fainted. Her father in law jumped in as well with two neighbors and well.....they all fainted as well.

"The smell was too strong. I lost consciousness before I could see anything," says one of the neighbors.

People in the village then used a rope tied to rescuers who pulled all six people out of the pit. The woman who dropped the phone and one neighbor are still in intensive care. Villagers said the dead victims had pulses after being pulled out but the ambulance did not arrive for more than an hour which proved to be too late.

"Two lives have gone in five minutes and my cousin's wife is still in coma, leaving a partially-paralyzed old man and a 1-year-old son at home," said a relative.

The reports have not cited the fate of the phone but it's incredibly sad that two lives had to be lost for a phone which in itself didn't have to bear the awful smell. $320 is a relatively expensive phone so it was a valuable object but I don't think that it would have been able to remain functioning after falling into knee deep waste. I also don't think it was worth the risk. Maybe if it was, like a human or something, then yeah. BUT A PHONE!!!!!!

I commend the people who went in after to save the folks even though some of them also fell victim to the horrible stench.

I didn't want to believe this story at first. I couldn't believe that people would actually go digging a cesspool filled with tons of human sh*t to find a phone which would have probably gotten broken as it fell in the watery stool. I just don't get it. RIP to all the folks who lost their lives and I hope that those injured have a speedy recovery. Anyway, my name is Trinikid and you've just been informed.