MAKING THE WEB A BETTER PLACE, ONE PUBLICATION AT A TIME.

• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Posted by Trini Kid - - 16 comments

Sup Travellers?! Last Wednesday, a 16 year old girl was repeatedly punched in her face and beaten by a gang of girls at Cunupia Secondary School in Trinidad. Ever since then the girl has been traumatized and too scared to go back to school after receiving death threats from her assailants. The definite reason for the beating is still unknown but Sapphire Douglas, the girl beaten, says that it was because she turned down "advances" that one of the girls was making since she was in Form one. She's currently in Form four and her attackers are all in form five.

I'm not sure what exactly the word "advances" mean in this context but it sounds like there was some lesbian action in the school [I'm assuming, I could be wrong]. According to Sapphire, shortly before 3 pm last Wednesday, she went to a shop at the school when the female student, who at the time was beating up a male student, rushed toward her, grabbed her by the neck and started to choke her.

While she kept cuffing me in my right eye and threatening to kill me, other students joined her and they too began to cuff me. I get blows all in my ribs and back. I screamed for help and begged them to leave me alone. But I was beaten up for close to ten minutes,” Sapphire told Newsday

Sapphire said she managed to escape from her attackers and ran towards a maxi taxi, but the students followed her and dragged her out of the vehicle and again, began to beat her up. The female students, Sapphire said, threatened to kill her if she ever returned to the school.

When I felt as though I was going to faint. I don’t know where I got the strength from, but I ran towards another maxi and asked the driver to take me to the Cunupia Police Station. When I reached the station I contacted my mother who came to the station shortly after.” Sapphire said.

Sapphire claims that the police have all the information and evidence to make an arrest but have yet to take any action. Despite the fact that she wants to go back to school, she remains at home until the students involved in her brutal beating face the full blunt of the law. “All I want is to complete my education. I am not interested in unlawful things. I just want to become a certified chef and make something of myself,” Sapphire said. Her father said that this was not the first time that she was attacked.

Usually when a gang of girls beat up a girl it usually has something to do with a man. But when I read that the reason for the assault was because she denied "advances" by the girl, I was a bit taken aback. I had no idea that sort of things happened at schools in Trinidad. I have no idea what exactly she meant by advances but I hope it's not what I think it is because that means that girls these days are getting more violent than boys in school. Guys don't even beat up girls when they turn them down. This is not a good sign...Not a good sign at all. I guess that more light will be shed on the situation as time goes on but until then don't forget that my name is Trinikid and you've just been informed.

16 Responses so far.

1. Anonymous says:

she lying she was going and fight back one of de girl and slap she and cuff she in she face and de fight start

2. Anonymous says:

anonymous were u ther -_- wa kina assness u tlk so u think tht deh have d rite tuh beat up d grl so stueps.............

3. Anonymous says:

unbelievable whats happening today.
    even if d child lying she was beaten badly. an dats a crime. and she must fight back, its human nature to try to protect yourself.

4. Anonymous says:

I think that you should really get your facts right before leaving a comment.She (sapphire) did try to defend her self but it was four to one.

5. Anonymous says:

The fact is, girl on girl violence is; I want to say more present the male violence in secondary schools in Trinidad and Tobago. The relevant authorities should punish all parties as they would usually do with the males. YTC. Warn first time offenders, but repeat offenders should get sentenced.

6. Anonymous says:

I agree ^ Women deserve equal rights too. I not saying the girl was innocent as all stories have three sides: Party A. Party B & The TRUTH. I would think maybe they had an ongoing conflict for a while maybe since form 1. I'm not sure what advances mean but, if that has to do with lesbianism... That's something very dumb to fight about.

7. Anonymous says:

exactly. this child needs justice. the offenders need to learn from what dey did. this is happenin to much today and too much ppl gets away with it . this should stop here. make an example of the offenders.

8. Anonymous says:

It's one week today an nothing has been done .......NO ONE has been charged .On that same day the same group of young girls were fighting with a little boy an had to be taken to the hospital. This all started when sapphire said no to the advances been made on her. still no reason to fight!

9. Anonymous says:

Madness

10. Anonymous says:

Hmm I recently graduated from this school, Sapphire was apart of this so called gang and it so happen that the tables have turned what she did to others back fire on her.....making people feel she all innocent smh if she attend classes and associated with the right students this wouldn't have happen but no...it's all about the brands and the rank they should all be punished.

11. an then when we strap with we nine and go to school people call us criminals. The real criminals is the system in which we live and is govern by.

12. Anonymous says:

acctually it was two girls for sapphire and sapphire start to puff and buff up she chest and went in a maxi to put down she bag and one of de girl was holding she down FROM getting licks and she cuff and slap de girl

13. Anonymous says:

cunupia sec eh dan..smfh
    wen i was there it was cunupia high and back den it was real scary..even tuh walk tuh skl with money was ah task..now it gt worst

14. Anonymous says:

hahahaha boy she wa chief she wa be lmfao hahahah and soo much classes she does break lmao shee look fuh she dam lix

15. Anonymous says:

Hmmm I Highly Doubt Its Because Of Advances She Got Beaten Up For But Even Self Whatever The Matter Was It Does't Give These Young Ladies Rights For Beating Up Sapphire And I'm Shore Sapphire Isn't Saying The Whole Truth To This Story But It Will Be Revealed Soon One Of These Girls Will Open There Mouths And Speak.

16. Anonymous says:

Lil girl learn to speak the truth ,,, u deserve that licks ppl must listen d two side of ah story